Advertise

Monday, November 2, 2009

Carousing In Music

The storm is raging powerful,this evening.
It is all pervasive.
Doors slam, windows rattle,trees swing, boo..... boo, strikes the wind.
The loudness is deafening.



The deluge is overwhelming, this evening
It is all powerful.
Gardens ovelow, rivers flood, oceans roar, thud ...... thud .beats the rain.
The noise is baffling.


Locking myself in my room, I switch on my twenty our hour music channel Sruti.
Moderating the volume, I listen to the raga Kalyani.
The musical intepretaion is so exciting.
Kalyani is the most beautiful ragas in carnatic musi.
It stirs you.
It thrills you.
It enriches you.
It enraptures you.
The alapana of the raga by M.S.Subbalakshmi,brings exhilaration, and beatitude .
Drenched in the melody of the rendition , I became almost unaware of the discordant bangings in the open space.

The song which followed the alapana is "Nidhi sala sugama" by Saint Thiagaraja.
The articulation of the words is so gripping , that I perceive the saint breaking down sobbing, while the King offers gifts in a golden platter. The King ,in return asks Tyagaraja to eulogise him in his songs.
The saint refuses the materialistic pleasures
The pent up emotions spontaneously oveflow as "nidhi sala sugama". He sings in his beautiful voice
"Spiritual bliss is the essence of my life.,
Money and fame do not bother me"
The King walks away with his worthless gifts.

M.S. in her own resplendent style, adds colour to Tyagaraja's contribution.

I experience the tweaks of the drunkard as I have filled myself with the most intoxicating drink.
Raga Kalyani makes me wobble.
Melody sends my head whirling.
I feel dizzy.
My eyes gradually fold.
I revel in "eternal Bliss"


The tumultuous melodrama in the outer space resolves.
There is dumb silence.

It is exactly an ecstatic rendez- vous with the Eternal.

No comments:

Ads