Advertise

Sunday, May 24, 2015

The "I" Should Come After

 Eventually back in my blog   I rush through my posts relating to Family Business. They seem to be relatable. They are not from imagination. They are a real experience.

Being born in a business family and in an industrial oriented one, I had seen the rise and fall, the profits and loss, the make ups and make builds to a great extent. Apart from the business fluctuations the family underwent a turbulence  when the going ended up in a loss.The smooth ride passes off unnoticed .it is only when you encounter bumps and potholes the driver has to be cautious. The business went off, especially in my family, when the returns were lucrative.

The profits diminish mainly due to the factors beyond our control. They being  labour unrest, power failures, raw material costs and fall in prices. Like you, I also believed the same.

later as I grew up and became familiar with  the business, I could decipher more than one reasons for the failure. The Textile industry into which my family was for decades brought us wealth enormous and reputation voluminous. We became the prime family in  the town and society hailed  us as the most successful business house in our part of the country,
As the tradition goes it is the sons who participate in business and the daughters have no say in it whatsoever. My brothers, one by one, came into the stream which was beautifully managed by my father. My father was a conservative businessman. he measured every move. Of course, he made some expensive mistakes, which were rectified then and there.My brothers slowly learnt the business practice. Each one of them was well qualified. My mother saw to it that they  got the best education possible. She was behind them always and monitored every move of them.


The  business could very  take in the four of them as it had units all over the state and plantations in Nilgiris. For a few years, the business ran without any issues. They got married and begot children. Then on the rivalry started. Each one wanted to override the other, set aside a portion of the income for their own. The second brother won the confidence of my parents.

it was his reign all over . he went on a speed unforeseen. he expanded the business. he had so many confidantes. he bought properties in their names. had unwanted understanding with the cotton and yarn merchants. He made it a point to undervalue the goods, both inward and outward and got a commission for doing so from the merchants. That way he amassed great wealth. The other three
remained passive for a period. Seeing him grow in prosperity manipulated and played the game much more discreetly than him. Each one made a lot of money while the business gradually became unviable.

The business and industries fell into debt. They were auctioned and liquidated. This family has taught a lesson.- the I should always come
after.





No comments:

Ads